Increase reliability and safety for the US Coast Guard polar icebreakers
When the US Coast Guard was ready to install new crane hardware and hydraulic units on its two polar icebreakers, it turned to Concept Systems to install and program the new crane control systems and operator interfaces.
ROI: Less than 12 months
Concept Systems: 2 engineers
• Provide fail-safe performance and diagnostic/troubleshooting capabilities
• Withstand harsh polar environments
• Provide for centralized operation with a touch-screen Operator Interface at each HPU location
• Diagnose problems in the field from each HPU station
• Create safer, user-friendly system using standard hardware and software
• Improve system monitoring and reporting
• Increase efficiency of crane operation
• Operates in even the harshest environments
• Allen-Bradley ControlLogix
• PanelView Plus HMI
• Rockwell RSLogix 5000
• FactoryTalk View ME
Icebreakers operate in harsh polar environments, so a control system had to be robust enough to stand up to those conditions. Additionally, centralized operation with a touch-screen Operator Interface (OI) at each HPU location was required. Given the environmental situation, multiple backup systems were also needed, so the cranes and anchor windlasses would remain operational during a critical system failure.
Concept Systems delivered a high performance system with reliable diagnostic and troubleshooting capabilities by supervising design, PLC and OI-associated hardware selection and software development for the centralized HPU control system. Now, hydraulic fluid flow can be redirected from one crane or anchor windlass to another through the control system via the OI.
In even the harshest conditions, the cranes on the US Coast Guard icebreaker ships operate more efficiently with improved safety, reliability, and flexibility.