Manufacturers across all industries are under constant pressure to increase profits while reducing costs. In addition, the food and beverage industry is under pressure to comply with FDA and other regulations that ensure food safety and quality. Automation is a clear solution to relieve these pressures as automated processes are proven to increase efficiency, improve traceability, and protect the brand’s reputation – all while complying with the requisite regulations! Below are some of the benefits of automation within the food and beverage industry.
Additionally, many food and beverage producers plan to increase their level of industrial automation in the next several years, however, they do not know where to start. This is why it is important to partner with automation experts, like Concept Systems, that will guide you through the automation selection process. Concept works with customers to clearly understand the problem they need to solve, and then recommend automation solutions to address this need.
- Increases Efficiency: automated processes can work 24/7 with occasional outages for maintenance, which is clearly faster than human operators can perform. For this reason, increased efficiency and higher through-put rates are two of the biggest benefits of automation in the food and beverage industry. In addition to elevated efficiency, automation also allows companies to collect valuable data from the production line that can be used to improve maintenance. Predictive maintenance is a new approach to maintenance where real-time data is used to identify potential issues and alert when maintenance is needed – further reducing costs as well as production downtimes.
- Elevates Quality Control: the food and beverage industry demands excellent quality control in order to provide safe products and preserve the brand reputation. By reducing the potential for human error and allowing early identification of potential issues, automation increases the reproducibility of production and helps ensure the final product does not vary – or more concisely put, automation improves quality control!
- Enhances Traceability: the ability to track products from end-to-end is critical in the food and beverage industry, especially during product recalls which involve the collection and destruction of products and are often very costly for manufacturers. Automation significantly improves traceability which means a product can be readily tracked from its source, through processing and distribution, until it reaches the shelf for consumers. If a problem is detected with a batch of products, the shipment can be located and retrieved, avoiding potential issues. Improved traceability provides valuable data that allows manufacturers to ensure regulatory compliance and cut down on the cost of compliance. This data also allows for trouble-shooting and identification of issues along the supply chain – allowing for continuous improvement and enhancing overall quality, safety, and profitability.
- Protects the Brand: food and beverage companies rely heavily on their brand as it is often the key connection to their customers. Consistency is crucial for the food and beverage industry since customers want to buy the same product over and over again and for it to consistently have the same texture, flavor, taste, and other characteristics. Automation provides manufacturers with consistency, thus, protecting the brand’s reputation. Additionally, automation improves quality by systematically managing production, reducing the risk of food and beverage recalls and further protecting the brand.
- Improves Personnel Safety: improved operator safety is a big advantage of automation within the food and beverage industry as operators no longer need to perform hazardous tasks such as picking up heavy objects, performing tasks with repetitive motion, or other potentially dangerous or monotonous tasks. Operators are safer when these types of tasks are performed by robots and other automation solutions. Additionally, automation frees up human resources to focus on more important, value-add demands, better utilizing their talents.
- Provides Flexibility: automation allows manufacturers to be more nimble and able to adapt to changing production needs such as retooling for new products, as well as changing regulatory compliance requirements. These changes can simply be programmed into the automation software, eliminating the need for personnel training.
Concept Systems is 100% committed to maintaining current, state-of-the art equipment that allow customers to achieve competitive manufacturing today and tomorrow. With the technologies available, there are countless robotic and machine vision applications that can help you address your business challenges. From basic picking and sorting to enhanced vision inspection, from custom built end of arm tooling to complete work cell design and integration, our team of expert engineers design and integrate solutions that enhance the efficiency and profitability of your operations.
We’ll dive into your manufacturing process and build a smart, precisely tailored automation solution – effectively integrating metrology and automation solutions to improve throughput and elevate quality. Leverage the advances in technology to improve your manufacturing – contact us today!